Colombia Bogota North Mission

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Giron Week 7

It’s finally Pee day! Wow I’ve been holding it for so long. On my last P-day I only had time to read and respond to a few letters it was really lame but this time I think I can get through them. Giron is doing well. I’m learning a lot of Spanish every day but I have to learn every common word to understand decently (there are a lot). It’s cool though. People are usually really nice. Sometimes people are mean and talk really quiet and fast so I can’t understand and get confused and then make fun of me rudely but it’s only a couple times a week. At first I was like “I wish they had to go to the U.S. and try to speak English so they can see how it feels” but then I remembered the U.S. is really nice and these people live in Giron so I changed my mind. The U.S. has carpet. There are some super poor neighborhoods here where the homes are one tiny room (basically a shack) with a piece of tin foil for a roof. It’s super cool, I like the poor areas but we don’t go to them much because my companion is a scaredy cat and says they’re dangerous or something.
 Giron

 I’m starting to adjust to the lifestyle now. Preachin the good word 24/7. I was told being a missionary is awesome (it is) but no one told me how sad it is. A lot of people tell you about all of their problems and cry. I wish I could force everyone to accept the gospel because they would be so much happier but I guess they like being sad better. The mission lifestyle is cool though. I never have to ask what I’m going to do tomorrow because every day is the same. Every day my calendar has one thing: change lives. The apartment is pretty cool too. I’ve decided that not having an A/C or hot water or a bed is better. I call it the low maintenance lifestyle. I never have to adjust the A/C or fix the water heater or make my bed. It’s awesome.



Derek's apartment- outside and inside view

I had an exchange with my zone leader and went to the nice part of Bucaramanga and had lunch in a house the size of houses in the U.S.  and we talked to a guy in his BMW and there was a mall and movie theater and I didn't see any homeless people. I felt like I was in America. I’m glad to be back in Giron though because here there is a lot of trash and dog poop in the streets and you can go without showering and no one will know because it already smells bad. But really there are nicer areas too and the people are awesome in all parts.

Bucaramanga
Tons of people wear crocs and the teenage guys rep these mullets that are actually kind of cool and people point with their lips! It’s so funny, my zone leader pointed it out to me and did it all day and other people did it too. Something annoying is women breast feed any time any place. In lessons or during church activities. We’ve had some weird lesson locations too. In a barber shop while a lady was cutting hair, in a little store in houses. It’s sweet because I’m pretty sure I have the gift of tongues during lessons. I understand almost everything in the lessons but I get destroyed the rest of the time. We’re teaching a lot of less actives. I like teaching less actives because you can go more in depth on things and be like “look how awesome this is, you need this!” but teaching for the first time is awesome too you can be like “look how awesome this is, you need this!”
                 

Chapel in Giron
We’re teaching a good amount of young people which is really cool because they’re easier to connect with and that makes a big difference when you can’t speak Spanish. No they’re not all girls most of them are guys. Most ;) ha just kidding I’m a missionary. I thought of something you guys can send me, a laminated paper with thy lyrics to “I will survive” to put in my shower. I have to get hyped for the cold shower and that song has been working so far but I don’t know the lyrics to all parts. I read the manual and we can sing anything uplifting and that song is good enough. I’m also requesting the lyrics to that song that goes “the lion sleeps tonight” for when I’m getting ready for bed. Me and my companion are doing well, I guess you could say we’re like best friends because we’re together 24/7.

Elder Torres selfie
I’m still learning a ton about the area, and who’s who, and Spanish and how to teach, so basically I still know nothing but I’m adjusted now and I’m used to getting destroyed. And the heat. I sweat less now so that’s pretty awesome. Hopefully I can send this and get through my mail today. Last week I only had 45 minutes to write and I missed a lot. I hope everyone is fat and happy in the U.S. White people won the world cup so you guys can celebrate about that if you want. Don’t know what else there is to say, I’m still skinny. It’s good though because I can put on bug spray faster at night because I have less surface area. The church is true.




Love,


“Elder Dowin”

No comments:

Post a Comment